Re: [casi] Forum on Iraq and my Deep Apolgy

--- " Tom Nagy, Ph.D." <nagy@gwu.edu> wrote:
> It's the
> general refusal to examine and
> publicized sufficiently the  underlying vs. proximae
> causes of horrors that
> bother me because the results here in D.C. such
> taboo   lets the U.S. Gov. off
> the hook even if wehn  enables continuing,
> industrial strength, assesmbly line
> efficient torture and death via bombs  bombing of
> individulals [see
> iraqbodycount.org ] and the hugly greater and more
> pain-death induction
> efficient mode of bombing the infrastructure or
> preventing its rebuiliding or
> resupply.
While this is all true - think of the endgame!
Lets say AI releases a report with all this
information in it.
It would cause a minor scandal in the media but
everybody would forget about it within a week, and it
would make no difference.
People are generally too ignorant to realise the
effect of destroying water treatment facilities.
The media reports as follows:
They are Iraqi people - at worst they are simply
ignored - occasionally they are portrayed as
statistics - if they are lucky they are 'a story' but
NEVER are they portrayed as real people, so very few
people care.

Meanwhile, the US military could over-react and
prevent humanitarian agencies from getting access to
people in Iraq. I'd rarther not take that risk for the
sake of information that will largely be ignored (or
be dismissed as "unpatriotic" - depending on where it
is being reported)

For now, I would rarther they kept quiet.

Alun Harford