[casi] Former President Carter warns against war

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_758684.html

Ananova:

Former president warns against Iraq war

Former US President Jimmy Carter says a unilateral attack on Iraq would not
meet his criteria of a "just war."

In an article published in Sunday's editions of The New York Times, Carter
says the United States has not exhausted all options for a peaceful
resolution to the Iraq crisis.

He says an attack on the country would violate "basic religious principles"
and "respect for international law."

He says the Bush administration has presented an "unconvincing" case linking
the al-Qaida terror network to Iraqi President Saddam Hussein, and should
seek more international support before taking military action.

"As a Christian and as a president who was severely provoked by
international crises, I became thoroughly familiar with the principles of a
just war, and it is clear that a substantially unilateral attack on Iraq
does not meet these standards," Carter said.

Carter, who was awarded the 2002 Nobel Peace Prize, says a war with Iraq
could destabilise the Middle East and increase the likelihood of terrorist
attacks on American soil.

"American stature will surely decline further if we launch a war in clear
defiance of the United Nations," Carter said.

"But to use the presence and threat of our military power to force Iraq's
compliance with all United Nations resolutions - with war as a final
option - will enhance our status as a champion of peace and justice."

© Associated Press

Story filed: 12:29 Sunday 9th March 2003

sign the pledge of resistance to the "war on terrorism"
www.j-n-v.org