Re: [casi] False documents used by UK/US governments

Quite! Knowingly supplying false information to the UNSC is Watergate type
stuff if it's origin is traced to the US aor UK Government
Can you (or anyone) get an MP to ask a question about it next week?
It was reported on the front page of the Guardian, but hardly in a big way
and they didn't really ask the question of where it came from. See the
article below.
Richard

http://www.guardian.co.uk/international/story/0,3604,909946,00.html
UK nuclear evidence a fake

British intelligence claims that Saddam Hussein has been trying to import
uranium for a nuclear bomb are unfounded, according to UN nuclear inspectors

Ian Traynor
Saturday March 8, 2003
The Guardian

British intelligence claims that Saddam Hussein has been trying to import
uranium for a nuclear bomb are unfounded and based on deliberately
fabricated evidence, according to an investigation by the UN nuclear
inspectors in Iraq.
The chief nuclear inspector for Iraq, Mohammed El Baradei, yesterday flatly
contradicted Downing Street's and British intelligence's claims of attempted
uranium smuggling by Iraq and said that the documents used to substantitate
the British claim were "not authentic".

In a 55-page report last September detailing British intelligence evidence
of Baghdad's ongoing attempts to acquire weapons of mass destruction, the
government said that since 1998 "Iraq has sought the supply of significant
supplies of uranium from Africa".

British officials named the state of Niger as the source of the uranium and
passed their evidence to the UN nuclear watchdog, the international atomic
energy agency, in Vienna.

"Close scrutiny and cross-checking of the documents, the letterheads on
them, the signatures on them, led us to conclude with quite absolute
certainty that the documents were false," an IAEA official said.

"They were fabricated," said another IAEA official.

The fabrication was transparently obvious and quickly established, the
sources added, suggesting that British intelligence was either easily
hoodwinked or a knowing party to the deceit.

There was no suggestion that the British were involved in falsifying the
evidence which is believed to have been manufactured in Africa, probably in
Niger, and then passed to western intelligence agencies.