Re: [casi] The sun, reportedly, stopped shining.

Friends - a late response to which I too was not returning, but how can
Amnesty Reports be read in Iraq? Even the Lancet can't and remember when the
Iraqi representatives at the UN asked for the latest Report of I think, the
Human Rights Commission, they were refused it. Yes, maybe the government wld
not allow Amnesty Reports (probably pretty definitely) but the west
disallows school books, medical journals and text books etc.
I am still deeply uneasy by second and third hand Reports. No bigger game is
being played re oil, minerals and strategic interests than ongoing
currently. Wrongful imprisonemnts, tortures, executions are certainly
harrowing and sickening but not confined to Iraq. Texas, Guantanamo Bay,
Palestine the deafening western silence on Rwanda comes to mind - and
imprisonments -10,000 estimated 'disappeared' in the US currently, mostly
whose family know not (or lawyers) where they are. I only say this as we are
in danger of getting into 'them and us.'

Lastly, this list is surely not about having to declare one's political
allegiances as demanded of Gaz? It is just as surely about pulling in the
same direction, whatever our political (or none) allegiance. It has been
thankfully and refreshingly thought-police free - what would be next? Our
religious (or not) beliefs? Our nationality, colour, affiliations?

Let's get on with CASI being what it is - an open forum from which we all
learn, exchange; discrimination free and about not being 'neutral on the
moving train' of sanctions, which crushes the most vulnerable against the
buffers.

Best, f.