[casi] Re: The sun, reportedly, stopped shining.

Dear Bert and CASI members

I have promised not to indulge in the discussion about Amnesty
International. Bert’s posting made me change my mind..
1-     If you read the first sentence carefully it says "tell me news not
history" which means that the 2002 report is not much different from the
1988 report or any other report that they published for the last 25 year.

2-     I do not have to read the report I listened to AI reports on BBC,
Voice of America, Radio liberty/ Radio free Europe/ Radio free Iraq... etc.
Come-on Bert be serious would you expect me to go to any bookshop in Baghdad
and ask for Amnesty International report?

3-     << The sanctions issue, although not entirely ignored (esp. by A.I.
of U.S.A.), many would agree, has not had the attention it deserves>>. Do
you expect me to be very happy because it is “not entirely ignored” or “had
the attention it deserves”?. I live like the rest of the 22 millions Iraqi’s
under sanctions. We are the most effected by it. The sanctions issue is THE
central issue in our life. You may read, in London, about it BUT it affects
every aspect of our life. We have a say in the area “He who gets flogged is
not like he who counts”. With all due respect, and deep appreciation, to all
CASI members you are all counting while we get the beatings and that is
difference.

4-     I have no intention to defend Iraqi government record BUT I say that
the sanctions have caused the death and suffering to the Iraqi innocent
civilian population far exceeding any number of political prisoners reported
by Amnesty international ever since its creation. Bert get your reports and
your calculator and do it. Killing thousands and thousands people by
depriving them of clear water, health services, food, education, fear from
being bombed every day .Etc .is far worse than killing one political
opponent (both are bad but one is worse than the other). Don’t tell Bert
that the sanctions “killing” is acceptable to you and AI. If not where do
you and AI stand on this. I want to read a firm stands not wishy-washy
statement like <Such wicked practices, nor sanctions & bombings, can never
be justified> (what about condoning  sanctions, bombing?).  < Regrettably,
mistakes have been made, on rare occasions serious ones> (on this rare
occasion it caused the death of 500000 to 1500000 take your pick the figure
you think you can digest Bert without getting sick!). How about <REPORTEDLY
resulted>?

5-     It was your government (UK government) which ignored AI report around
1988 for their political aims. Now it is your government which is sitting AI
report to justify the imposition of sanctions again to further their
political aims. Your government should have been more consistent in their
thinking and actions and not Ghazwan! They read the reports each year and
not Ghazwan; they have a huge embassy in Baghdad to monitor things and not
Ghazwan! It is the UK government ignored / used A.I. reports to further
their political goals and not Ghazwan.

6-     << I have forwarded Ghazwan's letter to A.I. in London. They may
consider him a time-waster> >Yes Bert you are correct it is < a
time-waster>. For 12 years they, AI,  know about the devastating effects of
sanctions yet A.I. still have not made up their mind yet whether the
sanctions are a violation of all the known international protocols to
protect the civil and political rights. AI discredited it self by not taking
a stand on sanctions. I only pointed out to its failure. Do you think a
simple letter from a humble individual from Baghdad could change their view?
I doubt that because condoning sanctions would imply that the USA and UK are
committing genocide.

7-     I am sorry that you understood my criticism of AI as < irresponsible
abuse & accusations, despite his shallow knowledge.> ,< insults & crudities
> and  < crude anti-Amnesty>  Did I say all that? wow!  I thought that you
would tell me that I was wrong to assume that your government ignored AI
report 1987-1988. I thought that you would tell I was mistaken to assume
that Iraq’s record is not very much worse than the other states in the area.

8-     << I have no problem with Ghazwan being a Ba'athist, if he is, but -
if so - at least he should have the decency to declare it.> >I am sorry to
say that you, Bert, are using the same tactics of any other dictator. You
are assuming guilt by association. If I say I am a Ba'athist then you will
discredit my contribution just because I am a Ba'athist. If I say I am not
and you don’t like my contribution then you will insist that I am a
Ba'athist! and again discredit my contribution. This is a form of
intellectual terrorism. My contribution like any other contribution to the
list should be judged by the content and not by my political affiliation.
Bert I respect your right of association and I expect you to respect my
rights. It is for me to know,Ba'athist or not, and for you to find out!.

9-     I firmly stand by my point that “Until and unless Amnesty
International takes a firm stand on sanctions I [and didn’t say any other
person] will consider their reports as WORTHLESS”. Bert you are a campaigner
for human rights please respect my right "to consider their report as
worthless"

Bert let us hope that this subject will be closed because I have no other
points to add until I overcome my <shallow knowledge>

Best Regards
Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar
Baghdad, Iraq