Re: [casi] The sun, reportedly, stopped shining.

Dear Felicity & All,

Iraq would hardly be the first country to stock A.I.literature, even without
sanctions. Although, wouldn't some (privileged?) Iraqis have access to the
net? Still, I have no problems with someone not knowing
about a subject. When people claim to know Voltaire, or Shakespeare,
having viewed the covers of a few books, I find annoying, esp. if those
authors are then rubbished. Educated criticism is a different matter
altogether.

Sickening misdeeds are not excused by diverting to similar situations
elsewhere - which may equally deserve condemnation. If I am a wife-beater,
my behaviour is not mitigated by claiming 1000's of people act similarly,
e.g. in Italy or China.

Did I interrogate Gaz about his political allegiances, like some callous
Grand Inquisitor? I think not. He had already, in effect,
declared his politics, when writing to Gabriel of Voices, U.K., 1st June,
some days before I "demanded" answers from Gaz: "There are those who will
deny any and every progress made in Iraq since 1968! To them
the sun stopped shining on Iraq ever since Saddam or the Ba'athist came to
power!" - I might add that any personal information I ask, of anyone on the
List, can likewise be asked of me.

CASI as an open forum to learn and exchange? I agree. Yet, to be effective,
this must include international politics, with warts and all,
not meaningless, watered-down & sanitised platitudes. Rose-tinted glasses
may be appropriate in some contexts - probably not on the CASI
list (apologies if my views have been unduly harsh!).

Greetings,  Bert.