Re: [casi] Justifying Mass Murder

Dear Judith and All

I think your points are really very important. Let me address some of them.

1- The allied forces deliberately bombed and destroyed some of the water
treatment and purification plants with the full knowledge of the disastrous
effects on health.  For further information see Colin Rowat posting to CASI
Nov. 6 2001, RE: evidence that US/UK targetted Iraq's water supply?

2- Speaking from personal experience the water supplied to my house has the
following "quality". It has a- Bacterial growth. b- Coliform. c- Ecoli d- no
chlor  e-Unfit for human consumption. This is documented in two official
tests by the ministry of health and the Baghdad water Authority. I live in a
very nice neighborhood. In fact the house was rented as residence of a
senior staff of the British Embassy till 1993! You can imagine the "quality"
of water in the poor areas. It took 6 years of Oil for Food program (and 12
years of sanctions) to get the all the necessary materials to install new
water distribution system, hundreds of thousands tons of pipes and fittings.
I hope to be connected to the "new" water this soon. Such "quality" ,or the
lack of it, will have a detrimental effect of the general health of the
population.

3- Iraq during the 80's won the UNESCO prize for illiteracy eradication
campaign. A side from teaching the illiterates reading and writing public
health topics were also covered. Nurseries were created in factories and
women were given time of to breast feed their child.

4- Generally speaking the nutritional statuses of individuals were good. In
fact one of the pediatrics problems was child obesity. Baby food was
imported by the government and was very cheep and affordable.

5- During the 80's women constituted a sizable percentage of the work force.

6- Medical services were free, medicine was given at a very low subsidized
prices. Family planning and antenatal clinics were abundant, well staffed,
and well equipped. A program was initiated to encourage "safe home delivery"
. Specially equipped "ambulances" were imported and staffed for this
purpose.

7- It goes with out say that the psychological and environmental conditions
were a lot better than now.

All these programs had been badly affected by the sanctions.

8- I have to disagree with you on the health economics issue. Yes open heart
surgery is a lot more expensive than preventing diarrhea. You can save a lot
of children for the price of one operation but what about the social cost?
Are old people, with all kind of aliments, a "liability" on the health
system and should not be treated because we could better use the resources
to reduce child mortality? How do you train future doctors on the "non
profitable" specialty?  The health system has to strike a balance between
the need to prevent disease, treat the sick, and train the future doctors.
The health statistics are the means to measure the effectiveness of the
medical systems and is not the aim of it. I am sure we can write pages and
pages on this. I will stop at this point.

Best regards

Ghazwan Al-Mukhtar

Baghdad, Iraq