Re: [casi] Mass Graves

>ur just cause. Genuine friends of the Iraqi people should >be
congratulating them on the downfall of their >tormentor, regardless of
who and how it was achieved. >Liberated Iraqis consider the end justified
the means. >They expect and deserve all the help they can get from
>others. Ironically, that help has recently come from "Imperialist powers
to be" rather than the self
>proclaimed "Anti Imperialists" of the 21st century. The ?latter should
adopt some other cause and refrain from >speaking in the name of the
Iraqis.
>Otherwise, the Iraqis polite message to them is: NOT IN >OUR NAME.

As with all such situations, this has complexities. We need to remember
that the imperialists gave much support to Saddam. Of course it's great
he is gone, but he should not have been in power to begin with, and it's
possible he would not have been without US support. Also, the sanctions
strengthened Saddam while weakening the people who might otherwise have
deposed him. The enemy of one's enemy need not be a friend at all, but
yet another enemy.

That the US/UK governments are friends to the Iraqi people is quite
doubtful in light of recent and current events -- there are even grave
doubts that the US government is a friend of the American people.

In the US now social programs, and the states themselves are in terrible
economic troubles, civil rights are being violated, the environment is
being raped, and the poor get more poor while the rich get richer. This
flows from greed, lust for power, secrecy, and the extreme ideological
views of the administration -- the very same administration who now
controls the fate of Iraq, which   has less resource to resist than do
the American people. It is important to understand the powers and
motivations.

Several months ago the PBS TV show, NOW, with Bill Moyers discussed the
growing privatization of water, in the US and abroad. It described how
water was being transfered from public utility control to private
corporations, and how water was being siphoned off to other areas for
profit, how water was sold at prices which the poor in some nations could
not afford, and often delivered unrealiably and contaminated.

Now there is a crisis of water in Iraq, and there are also neihgboring
regions who want water, and will pay well for it. I am not making a
prediction, but following the patterns I would not be surprised if the
water crisis was allowed to occur so that people would become desparate
enough, and excuses could be made, for privatizing the water in Iraq, and
also piping it to other areas (even as far as Israel, perhaps).

It is an established tactic by big corporations and imperialists to seize
control of a resource or area by first manipulating a situation into
crisis proportions. "Destablization" it's often called. It's not so
different from the old protection racket, where a gang vandalizes and
terrorizes a neighborhood and then sells "protection", but in this case
it's the "official bandits", AKA the government which does it. If the
imperialists want control of a nation, all they have to do is
destabilize, and install their puppet dictator when the people clamor for
order. When the tyrant turns on the empire they have an excuse to go to
war.

This was done in Iran, Iraq, is in progress in Saudi Arabia, and many
other places. The Iraqis need to get their act together now and mount a
unified effort to form a government of their own to address the various
crises such as water, power, education, health, food, finance and
security. Any lapse will provide that much more excuse for the US/UK to
assume control as they wish. Naturally they will need help, and must
demand it from the UN, the occupying countries, and get help from any
other nations they can bargain or ally with. Otherwise it's out of the
frying pan and into the fire.