[casi] CASI's direction

Dear discussion list,

Thanks to everyone who has said nice things about CASI recently, and
apologies to those who are feeling frustrated with us! As Dan posted a few
days ago, this is the time of year when CASI's human resources are reduced
to virtually nothing by university exams. It's frustrating for all of us
that we can't keep up even with discussions on our own email lists, let
alone properly respond to events in Iraq or decide our organisation's
future. Please bear with us over the next couple of weeks.

Let me say that, in the limited time we do have, we - the CASI committee -
have of course been thinking about CASI's future. I think it's fair to say
that none of us are satisfied with the current situation in Iraq and we're
not about to walk away from Iraq now that CASI's core mission is ended. We
are currently drafting a proposal for a successor
organisation/network/forum which will continue to address the broader
needs of the Iraqi people and assist with the re-integration of Iraqi
society with the rest of the world. As soon as it's ready, the proposal
will be widely circulated (including to this list) in order to gain as
much input as possible.

So: please forgive us our current silence, and rest assured that we will
be widely consulting before doing anything drastic involving the end of
CASI as we know it (but equally, rest assured that we will be doing
*something*).

Very best wishes to you all,

Seb