[casi] Blair and inventing evidence

>"When you go to Iraq and talk to people there and see
the freedom they have, you realize why it was
emphatically the right thing to do,"<

Blair, who made the above statement, sneaked into
Basrah on Thursday morning, was not received with
"roses" and music but with complaints and
disappointment, and the only place he visited was a
primary school. I wonder what people he is talking
about..
Blair was shown on TV with small children giving him
flowers and one kissing him: something Saddam Hussein
often did!! Except, of course, when Saddam did that he
was compared to Hitler..

How can the British vote a liar like Blair as PM??

HZ

http://www.reuters.com/newsArticle.jhtml?type=worldNews&storyID=2850966

Angry Blair Says UK Did Not Invent WMD Evidence
Fri May 30, 2003 07:20 AM ET

By Mike Peacock

WARSAW (Reuters) - British Prime Minister Tony Blair
said on Friday his government did not fabricate
evidence of Saddam Hussein's weapons of mass
destruction to justify the war on Iraq.

But Blair, facing a domestic storm over the issue, did
not specifically address the allegation that his
office hyped up intelligence reports to strengthen its
case for war.

"The idea that we authorized or made our intelligence
agencies invent some piece of evidence is completely
absurd," a visibly indignant Blair said in Poland.
"Saddam's history of weapons of mass destruction is
not some invention of the British security services."

Widespread international cynicism about British and
American justification for war was stoked this week by
a BBC report that an intelligence dossier had been
altered on the request of Blair's office to make it
"sexier" by adding that Saddam's weapons could be
readied for use within 45 minutes.

The controversy has also been fueled by comments from
the two top U.S. defense officials that the American
decision to stress the weapons' threat was taken for
"bureaucratic" reasons and that Iraq may have anyway
destroyed them before the war.

No chemical or biological weapons have been found in
Iraq despite repeated assertions by Blair and
President Bush before the March 20 invasion that the
threat posed by Saddam's stocks warranted a war to
eliminate them.

Blair, in comments dominating a news conference with
Polish Premier Leszek Miller, said he had no doubt of
Saddam's weapons.

"The evidence that we had of weapons of mass
destruction was evidence drawn up and accepted by the
Joint Intelligence Committee. That evidence...is
evidence the truth of which I have absolutely no doubt
about at all," he said.

The British leader said there was well documented U.N.
evidence of Saddam's weapons programs, and fresh
evidence should soon be uncovered if people showed a
bit of "patience."

Blair said new probes of alleged sites had only just
begun but "we have found two trailers, both of which
we believe were used to produce biological and
chemical weapons."

"You have just got to have a little bit of patience.
Blair, who staked his premiership on backing the
U.S.-led war against Saddam despite initial majority
opposition among Britons, said the anti-war movement
was clearly gunning for him.

"When you go to Iraq and talk to people there and see
the freedom they have, you realize why it was
emphatically the right thing to do," said Blair, who
paid a lightning visit to British-controlled southern
Iraq on Thursday.

In Britain, newspaper headlines like "Sex it Up!" and
"Lies, Lies, Lies" piled the pressure on the
government to prove that it did not mislead parliament
or the public.

More than 70 disgruntled members of parliament (MPs)
have signed up to a motion urging the government to
give evidence to parliament on Saddam's weapons and
its motives for going to war.

"The time has come when the British government needs
to concede that we did not go to war because Saddam
was a threat to our national interests," Robin Cook, a
former foreign secretary who resigned from the
government in protest at the Iraq war, wrote in The
Independent newspaper.

"We went to war for reasons of U.S. foreign policy and
Republican domestic politics."