Re: [casi] Encouaging Amnesty, etc. to live up to their mission statement

--- Bert Gedin <gedinbert@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dear Tom & List,
>
> It may be very useful to lobby Amnesty
> International, esp. as you have
> unique knowledge, in these matters. And for others
> too. Personally, I have
> reservations about AI. Whilst I certainly wouldn't,
> as some dismiss the
> organisation out of hand (I am a member), I really
> do wonder if, re.
> sanctions on Iraq, AI didn't keep an unduly low
> profile. They would say, so
> I believe, that sanctions were outside their remit.
<snip>
They are far from being outside their remit!
Amnesty International's vision is of a world in which
every person enjoys all of the human rights enshrined
in the Universal Declaration of Human Rights and other
international human rights standards.

Universal Declaration of Human Rights:

Article 3.
Everyone has the right to life, liberty and security
of person.

Alun Harford