Re: [casi] lest we forget ...

Thank you Felicity for reminding us of Kofi Annan and
the UN.

If ever there is a speech full of B**S**, that was
one.

> It struck at everything this Organization stands
> for:  peace, freedom, tolerance, human rights, and >
the very idea of a united human family.

I suppose peace means terrorizing Iraq for 12 years;
freedom means occupying Iraq and Palestine; tolerance
means forcing sovereign states to change their school
syllabus; human rights means committing genocide in
Iraq and elsewhere; and the idea of a human family is
one of white-man superiority.
No wonder Annan was chosen by the US to be the
Secretary General of the UN. I suppose Belafonte's
description of Powell applies to Annan too…

> It struck at all our efforts to create a true
> international society, based on the rule of law.

I presume Annan is referring to the "Law of the
Jungle" with which the US has been getting its will
through. Or is he perhaps referring to the Orwellian
concept of some being more equal than others?

> Let us respond by reaffirming, with all our
> strength, our common humanity and the values that
> we share. We shall not allow them to be overthrown.

Big words from such a "small" man. I suppose one does
that after living in the US..
Does "common humanity" mean killing a million Iraqi
children in order to overthrow the regime?
Or does common humanity mean bombing Panama and
killing thousands in order to capture one man?
What values do we share: oppressing Kurds in Turkey?
Or oppressing Shi'is in Saudi and Bahrain? Arresting
Islamists in Egypt? Imprisoning Arabs and Muslims in
the US without trial? Taking Palestine from its people
by force and giving it to a group of foreigners?

> ...Finally, the attack of 11 September was an
> attack on the rule of law -– that is, on the very
> principle that enables nations and individuals to
> live together in peace, by following agreed rules
> and settling their disputes through agreed
> procedures.

And so the death of 3000 persons in the US is "an
attack on the rule of law", but the death of over a
million Iraqi children is not?
How has Annan and his still-born organization helped
"nations and individuals to live together in peace",
when Israel occupies Palestine, the US occupies
Afghanistan and Iraq, Turkey occupies half of Cyprus,
and Britain occupies Northern Ireland?
What agreed rules is Annan talking about, when
international law in openly defied by the US and UK
and his organization is humiliated??

> So let us respond by reaffirming the rule of law,
> on the international as well as the national levels.

Let us indeed!! Start by reaffirming the authority of
the UN, of international law and conventions, and of
the principles that all people are created equal.
Failing to do that, I think Kofi Annan should either
go to Ghana, which I doubt, or join one of the
companies in Sweden, owned by his wife's family, the
Wallenbergs, which is more likely.
Perhaps his tongue would then regain its natural pink
color instead of the brown one it acquired at the
UN...

HZ