Re: [casi] lest we forget ...

Hassan and Felicity may be pleased to learn that
Kofi Annan, Mr. Impotence, will manage to do
little bleating in the foreseeable future.  I heard it
on  WUNC tonight.   Annan canceled a planned
speech at Duke University because of his having
contracted laryngitis.  According to the report,
Annan will not make any public appearance for
several weeks.

I cannot say that I anticipate suffering withdrawal
symptoms from not getting to hear the Secretary
General.  In fact, I increasingly find myself dreading
yet another instance of his being "deeply concerned"
over this, that, or the other.  Raising wimpdom to
a new level of respectability may be meritorious
in some way, but it certainly should not have
qualified him for a Nobel Peace Prize.

I often get the impression that the man missed his
calling.  He should have become the Holy Father in
Rome or Swami Beyondananda in Calcutta.  As the
voice of reason he likes to portray, he is an abject
failure.  As a world leader he is a cruel caricature.

At a time when the community of nations could use
a sword-girded Jeanne d'Arc, Annan succumbs to
laryngitis and will take several weeks time-out,
presumably to practice walking on water!

Best regards,

JPH