Re # 1: [casi] Unfree stuff happens to free Iraqis!

Dear Bob,

Featuring some approaches of different varieties.

# 1: The Impeachment.

Best

Andreas

--------------------

Ex-weapons inspector and former Marine Scott Ritter is calling for regime
change in Washington.
By Jan Barry

05/05/03: (VIAW)Scott Ritter may be the Bush reelection team’s worse
nightmare.

The former UN chief weapons inspector in Iraq and card-carrying Republican
is barnstorming America with a blunt message: George W. Bush’s war on Iraq
was waged on a “bodyguard of lies.”

“We need regime change, and we need it quick,” Ritter told a gathering of
peace activists in New Jersey on Sunday. “George W. Bush does not have the
right…to represent the American people, if he told a lie. And he told a
whopper.”

That whopper, said Ritter, was claiming that the US government had evidence
that Saddam Hussein was hiding massive amounts of weapons of mass
destruction and that was why Iraq must be invaded. The facts, he said, are
that “the inspections worked. The United Nations did disarm Iraq.”

“I want the president impeached because he lied to the Congress of the
United States,” Ritter said. “He may well go out and tell another lie about
weapons of mass destruction” being found amid the rubble in Iraq. But,
Ritter said, any scheme to plant evidence would run afoul of professional
soldiers like those he served with in Gulf War I. “I can tell you, my fellow
officers won’t sustain that lie.”

Ritter is a former Marine major who worked as a weapons inspector for the
United Nations in Iraq from 1991 to 1998. These days he’s an antiwar
activist on a mission to pacify Washington, DC.

“What happened in Baghdad last month was not in accordance with
international law. What happened in Baghdad last month was a west Texas
lynching,” Ritter said at New Jersey Peace Action’s annual dinner, where he
was the guest of honor. “President Bush is implementing a policy of
imperialism.”

Ritter said Americans who don’t want the United States to go the way of all
empires—which, he said, die of indigestion—will have to fight an historic
political battle over the nation’s future. “We can’t allow a bunch of
neoconservatives to hijack America,” he said. “It’s not a right-wing
fraternity pin—the American flag, we own it, the American people.”

Ritter said he has been taking his blunt message to college campuses and
other forums around the country. And when anyone demands that he support the
war in Iraq, he replies: “What part of war do you want to support?” and
describes in graphic detail the hell hole of war.

Recounting the story of a Marine in a battle in Iraq, Ritter said that a
soldier is only one face of patriotism. “Ladies and gentlemen, let me
introduce you to the other face of patriotism—the people of the United
States. … The other face of patriotism is the American citizen who gets up
in the morning” and carries out the duties and responsibilities of
citizenship.

“If you give up now, you are giving up on American democracy,” he said.
Ritter urged the assembled peace activists to reach out to Republicans like
himself and raise the constitutional issues and uncomfortable facts that
Bush has run roughshod over. Among those facts, he said, is this glaring
one:

“Bush was a deserter from his unit during the Vietnam War. He doesn’t know
what it means to support the troops.”

Jan Barry, a Vietnam veteran, is a journalist living in New Jersey. Jan is
also an editor of VAIW and a contributing editor of Intervention Mag.