[casi] Wellington Quakers' Letter To Helen Clark Re Iraq

Sent: Monday, 5 May 2003 12:33 p.m.
To: iNtraNews Subscribers
Subject: iNtraNews: Wellington Quakers' Letter To Helen Clark Re Iraq

Wellington Quakers' Letter To Helen Clark Re Iraq

Press Release by Religious Society of Friends (Quakers) in Aotearoa/New
Zealand at 12:31, 05-05-2003

Prime Minister

5/5/03

Helen Clark.

Dear Helen Clark,

Wellington Quakers have asked us to write to you affirming your
recent statements concerning the dangerous precedents set by the
United States and UK governments in invading Iraq without United
Nations authority.

The policies and actions of the present United States Administration
are those of a super-power bent on ordering the world to its own
advantage.

If we want a world order in which all nations have constructive and
peaceful parts to play, we have to speak out quite fearlessly against
those who are trying to circumvent this. We applaud you for doing just
that, and hope you will continue to do so.

We remind your critics that your stance, rather than isolating NZ, is
aligning us not only with other world governments, but with substantial,
if not majority world opinion. Is aligning us with those in the United
States who think as we do and whom we can genuinely call our friends.

Your stance is aligning us also with those in the world, and there
are many of them, who still place a high value on integrity and the
need to maintain moral values, who are concerned that the United
Nations is returned to the moral high ground where it belongs.

We remind them that it is not "The United States" that we
contend with. It is the present Administration, which has openly
defied the United Nations and the rule of International Law. It has
acted, in the case of Iraq, with total disregard to the United
Nations Charter, by invading a sovereign state. In the conduct of
that invasion it has violated Geneva Conventions governing the
protection of civilians and civilian essential infrastructure.

We need to speak out also against the present United States
Administration's plans to award reconstruction contracts to United
States firms. The United Nations has to be the authenticating body
with regards to reconstruction.

The governments of the invading forces should be required to pay for
the repair of damage done, and recompense for suffering caused by the
invasion, but it should be remembered that Iraq has the human resources
and the capacity to re- build if given the money for that.

Above all, we must ensure that control of Iraq's oil remains in the
hands of a genuinely elected government and not one installed by the
United States.

Sincerely,

Tony Maturin
For Wellington Quakers Peace and Public Questions Committee.

ENDS