Re: [casi] Where are the demonstrators?

>I wonder what are the current proportions of pro-war vs. >anti-war
sentiment, especially in the US/UK, and how >reliable are the estimates
you can offer

I'm with a small peace group in the middle of largely rural Illinois,
USA, and will give my perspective on the matter.

A larger proportion of the people here are / were pro war than in the
cities and more liberal areas of the country. One result of that is the
membership of the peace group is fairly small (10 to 30 show up at
meetings), and with few resources.

When the war started, we discussed whether further demonstrations would
change anything. There is a big campaigne from the government and the
press to "support the troops" and many people have bought into this with
the idea that now that the US is at war the important thing is  to win it
quickly and not discourage the soldiers, so many who disapproved have
figured that the issue is lost, and many on the fence have simply
aquiesced to the situation.

Public opinion is heavily against demonstrations now and there is a lot
criticism (asnd worse) against peace groups, and we are concerned about
turning many people off to our message when they are particularly set
against hearing it, and consider peace demonstrations to be anti-American
and disloyal, even traitorious -- and this message is being constantly
reinforced by the government and media. Some are concerned for their
safety, socially, financially, or even physically, and hesitate to stand
up too visibly.

We have had a few small candle vigils, but the questions remains: What do
we hope to achive? -- surely the US will not stop the fighting. The
consensus seems to be that the best we can do is look to the future to
prevent further wars on other countries, and to learn about what the
plans are for Iraq are after the fighting stops.

We are currently discussing ways to spread the word and educate people
about the facts rtaher than simply demonstrating -- looking towards
recruiting more people and other longer terms goals. In other words, it's
a period of regrouping and re-evaluating what we should do. We have "lost
the battle" and must now look to "winning the war", which includes
finding ways to overcome the media and government propaganda, contesting
the loss of civil rights, and strengthing the group.

I suspect that this is similar to what is happening elsewhere.

-Bob Steel