Re: [casi] Where are the demonstrators?

>Hi Bob,
>I'm the accordinator of a local anti-war coalition called >"Oppose US-UK
Led War on Iraq Unified Action" in Taiwan >organized by more than 30
organizations. I know what you >feel.....
>I'm with you. Let's save some more Iraqi children.
>Stop the War on Iraq Now!!
>Tang Shu

I've been seeing an "announcement" on PBS -- public television lately,
advising parents not to let children to see the news photos as it could
upset them or damage them emotionally. I suppose it could be upsetting,
although perhaps not quite as upsetting as a child having her arms and
face blown off. :(

Really, it all comes down to the news and the media. The war to fight is
one of information and emotional manipulation.

The only TV I see is PBS, but I saw some clips of commercial TV on "NOW,
with Bill Moyers" the other day: the news promo was made by a fellow with
a deep booming voice (with exciting music) like one who announces movies
like "They thought they won -- they thought it was dead -- they thought
all it's offspring wer dead, but now... The *Mud Monster* is back! And
THIS time it's *ANGRY*!! It's *payback* time! See MUD MONSTER FOUR: the
REVENGE!! Starts at local theaters soon". There were fast-cut graphics of
bombers and missiles taking flight, good clean-cut-looking soldiers
scrambling onto a deck and studying maps. The whole damned war has been
presented as entertainment, like a big football game or a wrestling
extravaganza. The military spokespeople present videos of vehicles
blowing up and 6-color maps with little arrows on them. It's appalling.

Sometimes it seems the hawks have already just about won the war of
"hearts and minds" they have waged on the American people. I don't see
how the situation can be improved until the propaganda is thwarted, and
we are being massively outspent and out-advertised, much as happens in
elections now.

Even if the truth abut Iraq does eventually get out among most people it
will be too late -- they will be on to the next conquest, which will have
it's own public relations campaign. Most Americans are grossly ignorant,
dumbed down, distracted, and concerned with consumerism: give them their
new SUVs and gas to run it and they don't want know the details.

The public education system is perverse; the whole popular culture is
perverse. I am barely awake and knowledgeable myself, and must buck the
system to get get solid information, which is especially difficult
because I am disabled and therefore poor: the internet, good books,
journals, etc. are expensive. Most people are so busy trying to earn a
living, and live "the good life" they come home and flop in front of the
TV to relax, and have little idea about how to do research or where to
look for alternative views. Good education is for the rich -- the
nobility who are slotted to run things. The rest of us are taught the
American myths. It the old "nobles vs peasants" game.

Peace people need to come up with something -- maybe really entertaining
web sites which infiltates information. Maybe movies. Maybe UN TV and
radio if there was some way to broadcast it. Maybe a widely distributed
newspaper from the aligned nations or UN. Maybe comic books... ???

The odd thing is people here can still say pretty much what they want,
but there are few who will listen. Chicken Little might as well announce
the sky is falling as to say the President is lying to them, or the world
justifibly thinks the US administration are war criminals. The odd thing
is that American people ARE largely good and idealistic, ready to think
the war on Iraq is to make people free -- and that makes it that much
harder to convince them of what is wrong: if they were more cynical and
"realpolitik" they would more easily see the truth.

The article on the list, DEMONS OF NECESSITY: Why Weapons of Mass
Destruction WILL be Found - by Lisa Walsh Thomas, is a fine article, but
it if were printed and handoed out to everyone here, only a very few
would *believe* it, most of those already against the war.

Before the war people said Bush was smart to *bluff* the Iraqis into
complying with the inspectors by building up the troops there; when the
war started they said it was because the UN and inspectors had failed and
Bush was *forced* to attack.

How do we awaken a nation of sleeping children lost in their own dreams
and fantasies?