[casi] Where are the demonstrators?

Dear All,

On the eve of this war, millions demonstrated on the streets of London and other cities across the
world. Does not the conspicuous decline in the number of demonstrators while the war is going on,
demonstrate that swift hard action and sheer force are most effective in pacifying dissent? I am
not surprised when politicians go back on their word but it is rather distressing to see the whole
world just looking on or turning away politely while a most heinous act is being performed in broad
daylight.

I am aware that it is hard work to organise crowds and keep them going. And in my country, and
probably in other places too, the great majority of people are reluctant to speak up and express
their views. They think it's better to wait and see. Demonstrators are a marginal minority. But
last weekend's news from abroad are not much more promising in this respect. Or is it the usual
media trick of playing down the opposition?

I wonder what are the current proportions of pro-war vs. anti-war sentiment, especially in the
US/UK, and how reliable are the estimates you can offer?

Yours in hope and sadness

Attila Boros
Hungary