re: [casi] Fw: IRAQ V. AMERICA FOOTBALL MATCH FOR PEACE

Dear Anai & list,

I think a friendly football match can be just that - friendly. It's only
when players stake more significance on the outcome (which I'm sure will
be irrelevant on Sunday) rather than enjoying the game itself that it
becomes divisive. Perhaps a non-competitive game, or playing with mixed
nationality teams, would be even better, but personally I don't think an
Iraq v.  America match is ill-conceived.

The Italian NGO "Un Ponte Per..." (A Bridge To...) has been bringing
Italians to Iraq to play football games with Iraqis for years - presumably
to a very warm reception or they wouldn't keep doing it! It's a way of
saying 'we haven't forgotten that you exist and are human beings just like
us!'.

seb

On Mon, 3 Feb 2003, Anai Rhoads wrote:

> Dear list,
>
> Is it just me, or is this football game a bad idea? To me - its only
> promoting competition, nationalism, patriotism, and explioting the crisis in
> a way. How can it be for peace, when its an aggressive game? Its like their
> own mini war in a sense.
>
> This is probably the first time I have heard of any anti-war event go to
> such an extreme -  I can honestly say is ill-minded. It belittles such a
> massive crisis.
>
> Am I the only one that thinks any mock play between Iraq and Americans/Brits
> is odd?
>
> Anai Rhoads
>

> Sent: Monday, February 03, 2003 4:44 PM
> Subject: IRAQ V. AMERICA FOOTBALL MATCH FOR PEACE
>

> Press Release: Americans Against the War
>
> IRAQ V. AMERICA FOOTBALL MATCH FOR PEACE
> SUNDAY 9th FEBRUARY, 4PM
[snip]