Re: [casi] What to do with Saddam?

I agree with you Diarmuid. I think the key problem that one is faced with is
the choice of Saddam or a US-imposed puppet who does not care for real
democracy for the people. Those are the only two choices when you have Saddam
on one side and the all-powerful US juggernaut on the other side. Neither
side has the real interests of the people in mind. It's like asking someone
who they like more, Stalin or Hitler?
                            Andrew
<<The question is one designed to appeal to the reason of those of us who cur=

sed with a liberal conscience. Perhaps the best thing *is* to go to war and=

 to put an end to his diabolical regime.

But wait. How many people died in Afghanistan? How many people die of pover=

ty in the world as they are forced to grow crops for sale to foreign capita=

l? How many people die because of US-sponsored terrorism in...well, let's c=

hoose the continent of America, (although it could just as well be Africa o=

r Asia) ? How many people have died because of sanctions imposed by the gov=

ernments of the UK and the USA? How many people have been displaced by the =

actions of these governments? How many people have been murdered with arms =

sold by these countries? How many people have been slaughtered with the sil=

ent assent of these governments?

Why, then, is the suggestion that the UK be bombed treated as ridiculous or=

 radical? Why is the idea that the White House be wiped off the face of the=

 earth treated as just leftist posturing? Should we look favourably on crus=

aders who slaughter CEOs of multinationals? Should we hail the assassin of =

the director of the World Bank? What about putting huge car bombs on the st=

reets where these people live?

The idea is, of course, ridiculous and abhorrent. We know that nothing woul=

d really change. We see through the political ideology masquerading as conc=

ern for those who suffer. It's only when the ideology is the dominating one=

 of capitalism that we allow ourselves to be duped by the humanitarian conc=

erns of our mass murderers. As if they could redeem themselves by killing t=

he president of Iraq! How many has he killed? How many have they killed?

So, what to do with Saddam? Isolate him. Weaken him whilst strengthening th=

e Iraqi people. Let the Iraqi people know that we are with them and against=

 their dictator. Encourage the growth of resistance in Iraq. Refuse to pros=

titute ourselves for the sake of Iraq's oil reserves. But bomb the Iraqi pe=

ople whilst their leader goes into hiding before slipping away? Snatch away=

 the infrastructure that distributes their food and their supplies? No than=

ks!>>