Re: [casi] an example of U.S. victory

Lisa, this sounds similiar to what is happening in Brazil. da Silva, the lead
candidate from the Workers' Party looks as if he will be elected, but Brazil
has been threatened that if they adopt progressive, populist economic
policies IMF aid will be denied them. It looks though as if they will bite
the hand that is falsely promising to feed them. Number two behind da Silva
is another leftist candidate, so we'll see how it goes.
                    Andrew

<<I already responded (and was too lengthy) to Colin's

post, but as an addendum:  In 1990 I was in Nicaragua.

 Daniel Ortega was running for reelection against the

Chamorro coalition at least partly forged by the U.S.

The people undeniably wanted to re-elect Daniel (could

write volumes on this), but they were being crushed by

the embargo and further threats, so they voted as the

U.S. told them (then stayed in their houses the next

morning out of shame).

The U.S. has had basic control over Nicaragua ever

since.  In that time, infant mortality has risen again

to the Somoza levels.  Starvation is currently the

main problem.  In short, the bottom has fallen out of

Nicaragua.  They should have bitten the hand that

falsely promised to feed them.

Lisa>>