[casi] What to do with Saddam?

The question is one designed to appeal to the reason of those of us who cursed with a liberal
conscience. Perhaps the best thing *is* to go to war and to put an end to his diabolical regime.

But wait. How many people died in Afghanistan? How many people die of poverty in the world as they
are forced to grow crops for sale to foreign capital? How many people die because of US-sponsored
terrorism in...well, let's choose the continent of America, (although it could just as well be
Africa or Asia) ? How many people have died because of sanctions imposed by the governments of the
UK and the USA? How many people have been displaced by the actions of these governments? How many
people have been murdered with arms sold by these countries? How many people have been slaughtered
with the silent assent of these governments?

Why, then, is the suggestion that the UK be bombed treated as ridiculous or radical? Why is the
idea that the White House be wiped off the face of the earth treated as just leftist posturing?
Should we look favourably on crusaders who slaughter CEOs of multinationals? Should we hail the
assassin of the director of the World Bank? What about putting huge car bombs on the streets where
these people live?

The idea is, of course, ridiculous and abhorrent. We know that nothing would really change. We see
through the political ideology masquerading as concern for those who suffer. It's only when the
ideology is the dominating one of capitalism that we allow ourselves to be duped by the
humanitarian concerns of our mass murderers. As if they could redeem themselves by killing the
president of Iraq! How many has he killed? How many have they killed?

So, what to do with Saddam? Isolate him. Weaken him whilst strengthening the Iraqi people. Let the
Iraqi people know that we are with them and against their dictator. Encourage the growth of
resistance in Iraq. Refuse to prostitute ourselves for the sake of Iraq's oil reserves. But bomb
the Iraqi people whilst their leader goes into hiding before slipping away? Snatch away the
infrastructure that distributes their food and their supplies? No thanks!