Re: [casi] Campaign Against Sanctions?

Hello Dirk,

> Dear Saibal,
> "The number of Iraqi civilian casualties will be of the same order
> as the
> number of victims of 9/11", you write.
> Didn't you read my mail of 9 june 2002 about civilian casualties?
> I'll send
> part of it to you again.

Thanks for that (I joined this list a few days ago).

> "Carel De Rooy, UNICEF-responsable in Baghdad,  told us off the
> record that
> there has been a study about the effects of a limited American
> invasion,only to topple SH and to turnover Iraqi leadership. The
> results of this
> study are quite astonishing: there would be hundreds of thousands
> of deaths
> among the civilian population, mainly because of the collapse of the
> rationing system and the vulnerable Iraqi economy.
> If I know these facts, surely the CIA-funded and/or US-government
> fundedIraqi opposition must know these facts.
> If you support an invasion, knowing these facts, can you call
> yourself a
> friend of the Iraqi people? What "human rights" are you defending? And
> should such people be able to express their "independent opinion"
> on an
> anti-sanctions-list? I don't think so. "I just wonder when their
> consciencewill, if ever, catch up with them?"

In reply I would say that politicians don't seem to care about large
numbers of people dying from all sorts of indirect effects (e.g.
sanctions). Innocent civilians killed by bombs does seem to make a
larger impact.

But of course, you are right. Far more people would die from other
causes than being blown to pieces by bombs.

Saibal