SEATTLE POST-INTELLIGENCER
http://seattlepi.nwsource.com/opinion/81412_sean6.shtml

Senate didn't hear from Iraq experts
Tuesday, August 6, 2002

By SEAN GONSALVES
SYNDICATED COLUMNIST

Last week's Senate hearings on whether the United States should go to
war in Iraq could hardly be given much credibility by any serious
student of U.S.-Iraq policy, given the conspicuous absences of Iraq
experts who offer indispensable insight.

For starters, even though he notified Senate Foreign Relations
Committee Chairman Joseph Biden of his willingness to testify, Hans
Von Sponeck was not invited to the discussion table. Who is Von
Sponeck? Only a former United Nations assistant secretary general
with impeccable credentials and the former head of the U.N. oil-for-
food program in Iraq -- the organization that sanctions supporters
claim is adequate to meet the humanitarian needs of the Iraqi
civilian population.

Von Sponeck resigned his post several years ago in protest of the
sanctions, realizing that not only was the oil-for-food program
inadequate from the beginning, its hands were tied; not by the Iraqi
government but by the "Washington consensus."

I spoke to Von Sponeck last week. More familiar with the atrocities
of the Iraqi dictator than most, he's no Saddam Hussein dupe.
Nevertheless, he said, a fair and honest assessment must be made.

"No one can approach this from a black or white perspective," he told
me. "There is a massive sharing of responsibility for what is
happening to the people of Iraq" that stretches from Baghdad to
Washington. "The impression given here is that the oil-for-food
program is being abused by the Iraqi government. Not true. Extensive
independent medical research has been done investigating the impact
of the sanctions."

The root of the humanitarian crisis in Iraq is the lack of adequate
water and electrical supply systems, which were intentionally
destroyed in the Gulf War by U.S. bombs. With the sanctions blocking
the contracts and materials needed to repair Iraq's infrastructure,
thousands of innocent Iraqi children die each month of easily
treatable, water-borne diseases in a country whose health care system
was so advanced prior to the sanctions regime that the biggest
problem facing Iraqi pediatricians was obesity.

"That should be absorbed into the minds of those who deal with Iraq,"
Von Sponeck said. "We are grooming more anger, more extremists." And
that's why he thinks the hearings are important. If only there were a
broader range of expert opinion allowed at the discussion table so
that the American people can understand what's really going on in
Iraq.

Although former UNSCOM Executive Chairman Richard Butler was called
to testify, the man who served in that post the longest, Rolf Ekeus
(1991 to 1997), was not. Ekeus, by the way, wrote a piece last week
in the Swedish press about his tenure over the toughest weapons
inspection regime in history and how the inspections process had been
misused by the U.S. intelligence community to gather information that
had nothing to do with the U.N. disarmament mandate.

He also wrote about what he perceived as UNSCOM being used to provoke
military confrontations with Iraq. Footnote: the weapons inspectors
were pulled out of Iraq by Butler in December 1998 because of an
imminent U.S. military strike. They were not kicked out by the Iraqi
government, as has been widely misreported in our "free" press.

The hearings also didn't include the technical expert UNSCOM called
in to lead the inspection team on the ground when it had become
apparent that Iraqi officials were lying about weapons retention --
former UNSCOM chief inspector Scott Ritter, a retired Marine
intelligence officer who worked directly under Gen. Norman
Schwarzkopf during the Gulf War.

"I feel very agitated by the deliberate distortions and
misrepresentations," Von Sponeck said. "You have this attempt to
portray Iraq in a way that makes it look to the average person in the
U.S. as if Iraq is a threat to their security. I don't know by what
stretch of the imagination that claim can be made."

Having been in Iraq two weeks ago with a German TV news crew, Von
Sponeck visited two of the sites that both media and government
officials claim are likely sites for the production of chemical and
biological weapons.

"One of those sites is called Al Dora. It is on the outskirts of
Baghdad. That facility was disabled by Mr. Ritter and the other
inspectors in 1996. I visited there in 1999 and it was totally
disabled. It was a shell with destroyed machinery. And two weeks ago,
with a German television crew, we saw exactly the same thing. We
didn't even have electricity.

"But Mr. Ritter is a real expert on this. And he was there on the
ground. You should check with him," Von Sponeck suggested.

So, unlike the Senate hearing organizers, I did. Next week I'd like
to share with you what Ritter -- a self-proclaimed "card-carrying
Republican ... who voted for George W. Bush for president" -- thinks
about all this.

© 1998-2002 Seattle Post-Intelligencer

Will You Find True Love?
Will You Meet the One?