Re: [casi] Rogue State

James,

Thanks for the links.

I found two quotes that seem as if directed to Bush and his men. I felt those
quotes are relevant to the current situation.

John Quincy Adams said in his address of July 4, 1821:

"America goes not abroad in search of monsters to destroy. She is the
well-wisher to the freedom and independence of all. She is the champion and
vindicator only of her own."

In 1951, Sen. Robert A. Taft stated:

"If we confine our activities to the field of moral leadership we shall be
successful if our philosophy is sound and appeals to the people of the world. The
trouble with those who advocate this [interventionist] policy is that they really
do not confine themselves to moral leadership. They are inspired with the same
kind of New Deal planned-control ideas abroad as recent Administrations have
desired to endorse at home. In their hearts they want to force on these foreign
peoples through the use of American money and even, perhaps, American arms the
policies which moral leadership is able to advance only through the sound strength
of its principles and the force of its persuasion. I do not think this moral
leadership ideal justifies our engaging in any preventive war, or going to the
defense of one country against another, or getting ourselves into a vulnerable
fiscal and economic position at home which may invite war. I do not believe any
policy which has behind it the threat of military force is justified as part of
the basic foreign policy of the United States except to defend the liberty of our
own people."