RE: [casi] Iraq and the New Great Game

Dear All,

Although I agree with Colin that the list is for discussing sanctions on Iraq,
I have to disagree with his conclusions that "discussions of the role of Zionism
or Israel in recent world history seem to me to fall outside it".
The issue of sanctions on Iraq can not be taken out of its political and
regional environment, nor is it realistic to treat it separately from other issues
in the area. Israel and Zionism have played and continue to play major roles in
the affairs of the Middle East. The sanctions on Iraq, as we all know, were not
imposed because Iraq invaded Kuwait. That is the naïve and simplistic way of
seeing things. Sanctions, whose purpose was to force Iraq out of Kuwait, have now
turned into a weapon whose aim is to prevent Iraq from upsetting the strategic
Israeli/Arab balance, which has always been in Israel's favor.  For those reasons,
I believe that discussing those issues is extremely important and very relevant to
the issue of sanctions.

John Smith states "This misconception about what guides US foreign policy is
widespread in the Middle East. It reflects the desire of Arab bourgeoisies and the
middle class for a more equal relationship with imperialism."
I don't think there are any misconceptions in the Middle East regarding this
issue, nor do I think that Marxist analysis is the only way to see things. US
foreign policy on the Middle East has always been in Israel's favor, no matter who
ruled what country in the Arab world. Even strong (and subservient)allies of the
US could not shake that alliance.
I may not believe in the "Jewish conspiracy" theories, but I would not want to
dismiss them as "myths". But neither do I believe in the myth of "Anti-Semitism".
As I said, those who suffered from Zionist policies know better than those who
know them from afar.

Instead of arguing those issues, I think it best to post extracts from an
excellent analysis "ANCIENT HISTORY: U.S. CONDUCT IN THE MIDDLE EAST SINCE WORLD
WAR II AND THE FOLLY OF INTERVENTION" by Sheldon L. Richman, published in Policy
Analysis No.159 on August 16, 1991.  The article can be found in full at:
http://www.cato.org/pubs/pas/pa-159.html.

I may not fully agree with all of what Richman says, but it gives good grounds
for deeper thinking of the issues.

HZ

"Eisenhower's opposition to the conduct of Israel, Great Britain, and
France--an anomaly in light of later U.S. policy--is explained by his opposition
to old-style colonialism. The administration wanted to win the friendship of the
newly independent countries of Africa and Asia and to keep them out of the Soviet
orbit. That could not be accomplished if the United States were perceived to be on
the side of Great Britain and France in so flagrant an act of imperialism as an
attack on Egypt. Also important to the administration's calculus was its wish that
London not challenge Washington's more subtle dominance in the Middle East.
British and French irritation with American anti-colonialism was a source of
problems among the leaders of the three nations."

"The [ American ] people have …. gotten a bad deal on oil. The true cost of
oil includes not only the per barrel or per gallon price but also the cost of the
overgrown military establishment and foreign aid budget. That cost is hidden,
because it is not overtly added to the price at the pump, but it is real all the
same. That fact was recognized in a 1953 statement by the Texas Independent