[casi] 2 discussions

Dear CASI members,

There are two separate issues being discussed which are being mixed.

The first is whether one should or should not support the US in its plans to
oust Saddam Hussein. Many people have different opinions, as shown in this
list, and I respect and acknowledge that - even some of my friends do not
agree with my analysis - but as long as the debate is healthy then it can be
beneficial. I agree with M – the people of Iraq must be supported.

The second issue being discussed is regarding Saddam Hussein's regime, the
people involved in it, its oppression and cruelty, and the hypocrisy
displayed by those who support it.

VnStroope asks how this dialogue is productive. Well, in Iraq the regime
says whatever it pleases unopposed, because it murders any who attempts to.
I, and others who have noticed who is writing some of these emails, will not
let the regime, its members and followers go unopposed on this list. We will
not let them express the regimes views as if they are the views of the Iraqi
people. They do not represent the Iraqi people, and their suppression of
them and the 1.3 million dead Iraqis (this is a conservative estimate) are
proof enough of this.

Criticising the western media is something I always do, and regularly call
or write letters to complain about media biased, especially with regards to
Palestine. What disgusts me is how the Iraqi regime is attempting to jump on
this bandwagon, asking us all to ignore and forget its appalling ways. Going
to conferences about alternative media when you yourself are involved with a
regime that suppresses and murders any differing voice is extremely
contradictory, and it is important that people are made aware of these facts
so they know where these opinions are coming from. Judging from the private
facts out.

Felicity points out that everything is monitored here in the West, and seems
to suggest that this is equivalent to Saddam's regime registering every
machine in Iraq. Again, you've missed the point completely - in Iraq the
reason every machine is registered is so if you do anything that might be
judged against Saddam or insulting to him and his regime you are KILLED.
These are lives we are talking about, executed for a few words. This isn't a
game - these are real people. To simply disregard their humanity and equate
what happens in Iraq with monitoring of telephones and faxes in the West is
heartless.

Finally, no accusations were made against Nermin, only facts about her were
pointed out – facts which she admitted to. And it wasn’t my intention to
imply Felicity was on any payroll – in fact I was thinking along the lines
that she is so angry at the US and the West for all their injustices (and
rightly so), that she overlooks Saddam Hussein’s injustices – what she said
was quite shocking.

I apologise for the length of this email and wish you all a good day.

Regards,
Yasser Alaskary