Re: Halabja

Dear Felicity Arbuthnot,
You're not the only computer illiterate, please don't expect precise
answers, but possibly some clues. - How about checking out Hansard 1988?
Via Google, using the Keywords 'Iraq Chronology', I found this (an
independent source?): "1998 (probably should be '1988'-BG):In the spring
Iran, with the assistance of the Kurdish rebel organisations the PUK and
KDP, launch an offensive into Northern Iraq capturing the town of Halabja on
the 15th of March. The next day the Iraqi airforce bomb
Halabja, with poison gas causing 5000 deaths.
DAVID MELLOR, then a Foreign Office minister (+ Secretary to the Treasury?)
was visiting Baghdad at the time. Within a month Defense Minister Tony
Newton had returned to Baghdad to offer, on behalf of the British Thatcher
government £340 million in export credits. Britain's
trade with Iraq had risen from £2.9 million in 1987 to £31.5 million.
Iraq becomes Britain's third biggest market for 'dual-use' machine tools.-
You might also like to visit a U.S. government source, 'Iraq Watch'. -
Greetings,
Bert Gedin (B'ham).