experience with frozen accounts in the UK?

Dear list members,

I have just been communicating with someone who reports on a family of Iraqi
origin in the UK.  The parents, but not the children, had their bank
accounts frozen in the early 1990s.  My friend was trying to understand how
this works.

I only have a crude sense of this: Security Council Resolution 661 allows
freezing accounts in order to ban transactions with Iraq.  SCR 778
(re)freezes assets associated with Iraqi oil.  I don't know how these have
been interpreted in UK law, though, and therefore whether the British
provisions exceed the SCR's requirements.

I know what there has been some success in the past unfreezing individual
accounts, but have never followed this closely enough.

If anyone did have any more experience with these issues, please do let me
know.

Thank you very much,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | 0121 414 3754 | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | 07768 056 984 (mobile) | (707) 221 3672 (US fax) |
colinrowat@yahoo.com

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.