latest on 'smart' sanctions proposal

U.S. TO PUSH TO REFORM IRAQ UN SANCTIONS

WASHINGTON, Oct 24, 2001 (United Press International via
COMTEX) -- Secretary of State Colin Powell told reporters
Wednesday the United States was still trying to reform United
Nations sanctions against Iraq, despite the fact the Bush
administration is keeping a close eye on Baghdad with regard to
the new war on terrorism.

"We keep a close eye on Iraq," Powell said before meeting with
British Foreign Minister Jack Straw. We will continue to work on
modifying the sanctions regime so we keep the Iraqi regime
bottled up with respect to the development of weapons of mass
destruction."

The United Nations ended up extending for five months on June
30 the current sanctions regime on Iraq, which restricts Saddam
Hussein from spending his oil proceeds on anything except
food, medicine and some infrastructure improvements.

The June 30 vote from the Security Council represented a
significant defeat for Powell who had pushed for a looser
program with regard to allowing civilian goods into the country
while strengthening controls on smuggling to and from Iraq.

At the time, Russia would not agree to the new sanctions,
objecting to the new proposal's list of restricted goods allowed
into the country. At the same time, the sanctions proposal came
under attack from many of Iraq's Arab neighbors under
economic threats from Saddam to cut off oil supply routes with
those countries, not captured under the current sanctions
regime.

More hawkish elements in the Bush administration also
resisted the plan, particularly the Defense Department that has
advocated a more aggressive policy in toppling Saddam's
regime altogether.

Despite previous sparring, Powell said Wednesday, "the entire
national community is united around" his sanctions plan.

The United Nations General Assembly will open on Nov. 10 in
New York after that body postponed the meeting in light of the
September 11 attacks on the World Trade Center. One State
Department official told UPI that Powell will make a push for the
new sanctions when he attends the U.N. session next month.

Powell met with his Russian and Chinese counterparts in
Shanghai last week during the Asian Pacific Economic
Cooperation forum. State Department spokesman Richard
Boucher Tuesday said at a press conference Tuesday, "We have
discussed this with the Russians, we will keep discussing it
with the Russians. We have had expert talks. We have had
some more contacts."

A State Department official told UPI Wednesday that U.S.
negotiators had agreed to "consider some Russian ideas" with
regards to the goods review list, which Moscow has sought to
narrow. One source familiar with these "ideas" said Russian
diplomats have objected to the inclusion of hydro-acoustic
equipment and fiber optics being placed on the list. In February,
U.S. fighters bombed a fiber-optics air defense network near
Baghdad built by the Chinese Huawei Corporation.

It appears unlikely U.S. diplomats will agree to further winnow
the goods review list, however some observers say U.S.
diplomats would be open to reviewing to removing specific
references to a 1996 arms export control regime known as the
Wassenaar Arrangement in the U.N. list of restricted items to
Iraq. Wassenaar imposes restraints on both arms technology
and dual use items that may have civilian use.

CASI's website - www.casi.org.uk - includes an archive of all postings.