regional disarmament and sanctions

Subject: RE: military sanctions (non-WMD & delivery)

May I add to Mark's comments below : I believe the anti-sanctions movement
should focus also
on raising the call for regional (and global) disarmament. If Israel is armed,
why shouldn't Iraq be? If sanctions were lifted tomorrow, Iraq would still
feel compelled to divert resources into a military build-up, because of
ongoing hostilities with Israel. It is why Israel wants to keep sanctions on
Iraq.
Focussing on a call for regional (global) disarmament would also distinguish
us from political bedfellows like the corporations who want to lift sanctions
from Iraq in order to plunder the country in another sort of way,  Philippa
Winkler

<mark@bodmin-comm-coll.demon.co.uk> =====
>A lot of the harm being caused in Iraq is due to sanctions on
>anything that might have a miltary use - instead of focussing just on
>WMD and delivery systems.
>
>The regularly trotted out excuse is to prevent SH from threatening
>his neighbours. Can the anti-sanctions movement not try and
>change this focus (whilst also trying to achieve our wider aims)?
>
>SH does not pose a realistic (conventional) threat AT ALL given a
>Western presence in the region.
>
>Iran (Iraq, the aggressor, was supported by the West)
>Kuwait (green flag from the US ambassador to Iraq)
>Israel (whilst Iraq was being destroyed)
>
>Mark Parkinson
>Bodmin
>Cornwall
>
>--
>This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq
>For removal from list, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk
>Full details of CASI's various lists can be found on the CASI website:
>http://www.casi.org.uk

Philippa Winkler
Flagstaff, Arizona, USA
"kiss the mountain air we breathe"