Re: Robert Fisk and media self-censorship

> It seems that a lot of academics read these discussions so I would
> like to put a question to them. How, in a democracy, were the
> Western media able to ensure that, between August 1990 and
January
> 1998, the issue of sanctions  was basically "censored" so that the
> public had no knowledge of it? As Chomsky might say, it was an
act
> of deception which would "be difficult to replicate in a
> totalitarian state."

Having lived for two years under a military dictatorship the biggest
difference I noticed was that people did not trust the media at all
and had acquired a knack for reading between the lines.

Here in the UK it is possible to pick up things about sanctions from
the written media. The problem is that most people rely on TV
News. The BBC in particular has a very poor record of reporting on
Iraq and sanctions. The biggest fault is keeping quiet eg no
reporting when Halliday and von Sponeck resigned or UNICEF
presented their report or the UNSG reports on the failings of
sanctions. Then there is the bias on sources - Government press
releases quoted as if fact, all Iraqi quotes treated as dubious. Then
there are outright lies and misrepresentations eg on the night of the
bombing (Feb 17th 2001) the BBC 10pm News referred to the "...
two UN declared no fly zones".
Mark Parkinson
Bodmin
Cornwall