Re: Sanctions and two sets of hostages

Dear Moonirah:

You misunderstand me: I am sorry if I was not clear enough.
You are correct in pointing out that the British
government's position is that the sanctions cannot be
lifted without a resolution of the hostages issue. I know
this. My points were
(a) that the British government's position does not clearly
reflect SCR 687 paragraph 22 which links lifting the
sanctions only to NBC and ballistic missile issues, though
paragraph 21 introduces an ambibuity. Like it or not, the
issue is one of interpretation as to whether paragraph 22
outweighs paragraph 21 or not.
(b) I am opposed in principle to linking the lifting of the
sanctions to the release of the 605 because, going on
current UN figures, more than that number are dying in Iraq
ever three days. I appreciate that these are your loved
relatives but I oppose (though I understand) your
willingness to have vastly more of the loved relatives of
others die to get their release.

Sincerely,

Eric Herring

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Fax +44-(0)117-973-2133
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
eric.herring@bristol.ac.uk

This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT
the whole list. Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list
*** Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html ***