Re: the Independent: better Pope to Iraq than warplanes

Colin Rowat wrote:
Andreas Whittan Smith's:
Message to the State Department and Foreign Office: back off!
Moonirah wrote:
CASI is for matters appertaining to Iraq's sanctions I believe.

Venturing into topics involving Islam, Judaism and Christianity, plus the Pope's wishes,
with the greatest of respect, might hinder, not help.
There are some very delicate reasons surrounding this and I for one am not going further
into references to religions. Wow ! A hot cake !
It is not just world governments that should back off on religious issues, has the writer
of that column actually thought seriously of the fact, IRAQ is a MUSLIM country, albeit
Saddam seems to often base his policies on Soviet dogma and tactics.  True practicing
Muslims inside IRAQ and outside IRAQ, in any country could be asked to up-date Andreas
Whittan Smith on the matter of whether it would be wise for the pope to now enter Iraq.
Ask them about "KUFFR" for starters because true believers in Islam would say, thank you
but no thank you,
Pope John Paul II.  You are treading on egg shells here with this.
Colin Rowat wrote:

> [...]
>also be the father of a great nation. Hagar went off into >the desert with Ishmael. They survived.
>Ishmael became a mighty archer
>and, according to tradition, the father of the Arab peoples. In his
>person, therefore, Abraham brings together the three great >monotheistic religions, Judaism,
>Christianity and Islam. Is the Pope >beginning to plan how to secure closer relations between the
>three faiths?
>
> But even the Christians of Iraq - there are one million out of a
> population of 17 million - are divided. There is the pitiful remnant > of the Church of the
>oldest surviving Christian heresy, the Nestorians > or Assyrians, whose expulsion dates back to
>431. They stressed the
> humanity of Christ and refused to recognise Mary as the Mother of God. > After flourishing
>mightily for 1,000 years, the Nestorians have since
> suffered a series of reverses, not least Rome's success in the 17th
> century in attracting a substantial number of them back into its fold
> with the offer of rite - that is, the privilege of retaining
> ecclesiastical autonomy, local liturgies and canon law, in exchange
> for recognising the supremacy of the Pope and altering their creed.
> It is this body, the Chaldean Catholic Church, which has invited the > Pope to Iraq.
>
> If his visit to this church takes place, as seems likely, the Pope
> will have something to gain as well as to impart. For these old
> Christian communities of the East have retained what many suppose to
> be the atmosphere of the Early Church. There is no kneeling;
> supplicants assume the ancient upright pose, with arms half-extended
> and palms held upwards, before addressing the Almighty. The Pope's
> visit will bring great solace and permanently strengthen the
> community.
>
> This explanation of the Pope's "ardent" wish to make the pilgrimage,
> if it is correct, could gain only grudging respect from the State
> Department and the Foreign Office. Whatever Robin Cook may say about
> ethical foreign policy, the officials conduct realpolitik. But these
> diplomats should at least remember Cuba. The Pope went to the island
> early last year. He naturally had talks with President Castro. And
> there, visibly, the Pope's moral authority prevailed.
>
> Remember also Poland, where John Paul II strengthened the forces
> opposed to the Communist government of his homeland.
>
> Frankly I don't believe that Saddam Hussein will be impressed by his
> visitor.  But perhaps others in the dictator's circle will be.
> Tariq Aziz, the deputy prime minister, who is a Christian, may feel
> the Pope's moral force. However it turns out, I would rather see the
> Pope in Baghdad than American and British warplanes ceaselessly
> patrolling the skies above.
>
> Message to the State Department and Foreign Office: back off!
>This is a discussion list run by the Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq. To be removed/added,
NOT
>the whole list.
Please do not sent emails with attached files to the list