More precise info re Lloyd's claims last night

Sorry for not being as specific as I should have been - the
rebuttal to Lloyd follows:

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:28:53 +0000 (GMT) Rania Masri
<rmasri@leb.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Seb Wills wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Mr Lloyd also said "Let us look at the way in which Iraq tries to
> > prioritise spending of oil for food money. The Iraqi distribution plan for
> > the present six-month phase in the programme allocates less food than it
> > did when the programme was worth only $2 billion; it is now worth some
> > $5.3 billion. It reduces the daily food ration from 2,200 calories to
> > 2,050, and reduces spending on medicine."
> > [anyone know if his facts are correct and the reasons?]

In the centre and south of the country where the programme
is adminstered directly by the Iraqi government and
monitored by the UN, the situation is not improving greatly.
Only as of September 1998 through November 1998 has the
programme successfully delivered food baskets in the centre
and south of the country of a mere 2,030 kilocalories per
day, and even then World Food Programme (WFP) observers
indicated that almost two thirds of households surveyed
claimed that the rations last at most 20 days. The poor
performance of the programme is due to shortage of funds.6
The UN's assessment is that 986 has not reversed the
malnutrition in Iraq but merely stabilised 'previously
rising levels'. The levels of general malnutrition (measured
in terms of weight for age) are 14.7% of infants and 25% of
children under five.

The precise reference for this is Report of the
Secretary-General Pursuant to Praragraph Council 10 of
Security Council Resolution 1153 (1998) S/1998/1100 19
November 1998, para. 29. Available online at
<http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/reports/180day4.html>

ALthough the supply of medical drugs has increased [Which
is the opposite of Lloyd's claim], the UN believes that
these will have 'little overall impact on public health
services without better facilities and staff motivation.

The precise reference for this is the above Report of the
Secretary-General, paras. 26, 27.9.
---------------------
Dr. Eric Herring
Department of Politics
University of Bristol
10 Priory Road
Bristol BS8 1TU
England, UK
Tel. +44-(0)117-928-8582
Fax +44-(0)117-9732133
http://www.bris.ac.uk/Depts/Politics
Eric.Herring@bristol.ac.uk

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html