Re: House of Commons debates last night

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Seb Wills wrote:

[...]
> Mr Lloyd also said "Let us look at the way in which Iraq tries to
> prioritise spending of oil for food money. The Iraqi distribution plan for
> the present six-month phase in the programme allocates less food than it
> did when the programme was worth only $2 billion; it is now worth some
> $5.3 billion. It reduces the daily food ration from 2,200 calories to
> 2,050, and reduces spending on medicine."
> [anyone know if his facts are correct and the reasons?]

Thank you Seb, for this information.

A few points on the OIl-for-Food deal:
(1) Iraq is not able to produce more than approximately $3 billion worth
of oil due to the lack of spare parts necessary for rebuilding the
oil-industy-infrastructure, and due to the drop in oil prices. (source:
january AP report, see http://leb.net/IAC/UNR986.html)
(2) As for the alleged-decrease in the daily food ration, I'm not sure at
all if that is true. This is the first that I've heard of it. However, if
it is true, then perhaps the difference is accounted for in the
importation of certain spare parts for infrastructure-rebuilding. The
updated Oil-for-Food program allegedly allows the importation of certain
spare parts.

- Rania Masri

This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html