Re: House of Commons debates last night

Dear all:

I am new to this list and very happy to be a part of it.
Here is a contribution.

Rania and Seb want to know if the calorie reduction figures
cited by Lloyd in the HoC are true. They are (see details
from UN Secy Gen Report cited below. However, Lloyd's claim
that the reduction is due to Iraqi obstruction is not borne
about by the UN's own report. The UN claims Iraqi full
cooperation, and attributes the problems to shortage of
money.

Best wishes and keep up the good work. When I have a full
draft of my paper available, I will let the list know.

Eric Herring

Here is a summary of relevant passages from a paper I am
writing:

In February 1998 under resolution 1153, the Security Council
agreed to the expansion of the programme from US$2 billion
in oil sales every 180 days to US$5.2 billion. [how were the
figures arrived at?] The UN and Iraq agreed a revised
Distribution Plan under resolution 1210 of 24 November 1998
to try to improve delivery of food, medicines, medical
equipment, water and sanitiation equipment, electricity
equipment and oil spare parts.

US President Bill Clinton's claim that the oil for food
programme 'generates more than $10 billion a year for food,
medicine and other critical humanitarian supplies for the
Iraqi people'2 is patently untrue. Officially, only $6.8
billion of the $10.2 billion is for humanitarian aid.
Furthermore, the combination of the near 50% fall in oil
prices between December 1996 and November 1998 and the
debilitation of Iraq's oil industry due to UN bombing and
sanctions has meant that Iraq has not been able to generate
anything like all of the revenue permitted. In June 1998
under resolution 1175 the UN authorised Iraq to import
US$300 million worth of spare parts to enable its oil
industry to produce the amount oil necessary to generate
the revenue permitted under the UN programme. The funds for
this are deducted proportionately from the two humanitarian
aid accounts (ESB and ESC). Approval of oil industry spare
parts requires an amendment to the humanitarian aid
distribution plan 'or other clarifications', making this
what the UN calls 'a major source of delay in processing'.3
Oil industry spare parts are not due to even begin to
arrive before the end of January 1999, and the value of
spare parts permitted is not expected to meet anything more
than the most urgent needs.4 In the period from the start
of the programme on 10 December 1996 through to 31 October
1998 - just under two years - the total amount of revenue
from oil sales was $8.339 billion, while the amount
allocated for humanitarian supplies was $5,222 billion.5
Overall, Clinton's figure for humanitarian aid is roughly
four times the real figure.     In the centre and south of
the country where the programme is adminstered directly by
the Iraqi government and monitored by the UN, the situation
is not improving greatly. Only as of September 1998 through
November 1998 has the programme successfully delivered food
baskets in the centre and south of the country of a mere
2,030 kilocalories per day, and even then World Food
Programme (WFP) observers indicated that almost two thirds
of households surveyed claimed that the rations last at
most 20 days. The poor performance of the programme is due
to shortage of funds.6 The UN's assessment is that 986 has
not reversed the malnutirtion in Iraq but merely stabilised
'previously rising levels'. The levels of general
malnutrition (measured in terms of weight for age) are
14.7% of infants and 25% of children under five.7 Although
the supply of medical drugs has increased has increased,
the UN believes that these will have 'little overall impact
on public health services without better facilities and
statt motivation.8 Although some water treatment plants
have been improved, the UN reports that there are not
enough funds to 'significantly reverse the present
deterioration' in access to clean water.9 The same
assessment is made of agricultural production, electricity
production and primary school enrolment - at most modest
short-term improvements combined with  overall
deterioration of capabilities due principally to lack of
funds and secondarily to a slow rate of approval and
contracting.10  The picture is roughly same or somewhat
better in the Dahuk, Erbil and Sulaymaniyah governates of
Iraq under joint UN and local authority administration,
although there is some variation.11 These areas appears to
be doing worse at delivering food baskets on time,
similarly at electricity production but better at reducing
general malnutrition among children under five (from 25.8%
in December 1994 to 15.1% in April 1998), at delivering
medicines, at improving agricultural production, and at
primary school enrolment.

The data above are drawn from UN Office of the Iraq
Programme, Oil For Food, Basic Facts November 1998; Report
of the Secretary-General Pursuant to Praragraph Council 10
of Security Council Resolution 1153 (1998) S/1998/1100 19
November 1998 Secretary-General Approves New Distribution
Plan 11 December 1998. Available online at
<http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/reports/basfact.html>,
<http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/reports/180day4.html> and
<http://www.un.org/Depts/oip/dp5pdf/sg5.html> respectively.

On Tue, 26 Jan 1999 15:28:53 +0000 (GMT) Rania Masri
<rmasri@leb.net> wrote:

> On Tue, 26 Jan 1999, Seb Wills wrote:
>
> [...]
> > Mr Lloyd also said "Let us look at the way in which Iraq tries to
> > prioritise spending of oil for food money. The Iraqi distribution plan for
> > the present six-month phase in the programme allocates less food than it
> > did when the programme was worth only $2 billion; it is now worth some
> > $5.3 billion. It reduces the daily food ration from 2,200 calories to
> > 2,050, and reduces spending on medicine."
> > [anyone know if his facts are correct and the reasons?]
>
> Thank you Seb, for this information.
>
> A few points on the OIl-for-Food deal:
> (1) Iraq is not able to produce more than approximately $3 billion worth
> of oil due to the lack of spare parts necessary for rebuilding the
> oil-industy-infrastructure, and due to the drop in oil prices. (source:
> january AP report, see http://leb.net/IAC/UNR986.html)
> (2) As for the alleged-decrease in the daily food ration, I'm not sure at
> all if that is true. This is the first that I've heard of it. However, if
> it is true, then perhaps the difference is accounted for in the
> importation of certain spare parts for infrastructure-rebuilding. The
> updated Oil-for-Food program allegedly allows the importation of certain
> spare parts.
>
> - Rania Masri
>
> --
> This is a discussion list run by Campaign Against Sanctions on Iraq.
> To be removed/added, email soc-casi-discuss-request@lists.cam.ac.uk, NOT the
> whole list. Archived at http://linux.clare.cam.ac.uk/~saw27/casi/discuss.html

----------------------
Dr. Eric Herring