The following is an archived copy of a message sent to the CASI Analysis List run by Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq.

Views expressed in this archived message are those of the author, not of Cambridge Solidarity with Iraq (CASI).

[Main archive index/search] [List information] [CASI Homepage]

Re: [casi-analysis] Will there be elections in January?

[ This message has been sent to you via the CASI-analysis mailing list ]

Dear Peter and all,

You have understood the mechanisms of the election correctly.

However, i would disagree with your analysis. The IPO heavily advocated
proportional representation system for the January elections - in opposition
to some in the Pentagon who were calling for elections based on candidates.

While this may not seem logical at first, as made clear by your reasoning,
you need to remember the following:

- If elections are based on candidates, then there will obviously be winners
and losers. In any district there will have been one candidate who won and
several who did not. The winning candidate may only have 10% of the vote,
with the rest of the count divided by the other candidates. This means that
the representative of this district, who will go on to the National Assembly
to write the draft constitution only represents 10% of that area; 90% of
people will be unrepresented.

- In a country that lacks strong political party system, there is a need to
give an incentive to get people together. While the exile parties may come
together that does not mean they will dominate because they would still need
the support - and polls show they don't have that. Other than Dawa's Jafari
none of the leaders have even managed to hit double figures yet. (With
regards to the article about Sayyid Sistani, it's not clear what the source
is. I know for a fact that Sistani was in favour of the Shia parties - Dawa
and SCIRI, and maybe others - coming together to form a list and he was
encouraging them to do so; so I'm still a bit sceptical about the report,
there may have been a misunderstanding). There are powerful groups inside
Iraq that are emerging that will likely form their own lists - Moqtada's lot
comes to mind as well as other local groups. It won't be a walk-over for any
group.

- With a PR list system every vote counts, there are no wasted votes. So a
list of people will get the number of seats in proportion to the percentage
of the vote it received. This is essential for writing a constitution.

For further information, see IPO's March 2004 report: Considerations for an
Electoral System for Iraq's Transition Period at:

http://www.iprospect.org.uk/reports.html

Best wishes
Yasser Alaskary
Media Affairs Director