Re: [casi] List of mass grave sites in Iraq with sources

Tom,
This document is a compilation of media reports by a group of
Archaeologists for Human Rights. The fact that they only list one source is
most likely because they aren't able to read and list every account in
every media source. In fact, any count based on media sources is likely to
be far lower than the reality, in the same way as the number of war deaths
at iraq body count is probably far lower than the number who died in the
war. Journalists don't record everything!

Also, as Colin and others have pointed out, there can be no doubt that
Saddam killed many, many people. And I'm fairly dubious about how deeply
you can analyse news photographs. Not only is it very hard to tell whether
a photo was faked by looking at it without any idea of the context, but, at
least in my experience, journalists 'arrange' and 'improve' photographs in
all kinds of ways, but very rarely completely fake something with no
connection to reality. I just don't believe that significant numbers of
journalists are faking mass graves that aren't there.

If you really want to know what's going on, I'd suggest getting in touch
with somebody at Amnesty or Human Rights Watch rather than trying to
extrapolate from the media. UN investigations I don't know about - anyone
following what they're doing?

Dan