Re: [casi] List of mass grave sites in Iraq with sources

Dear all

I am fully persuaded that mass graves exist, mainly because, as I have said
in one of the introductions to the News Mailings, I don't see how the Iraqi
state could have regained control of the country in the circumstances
created by us in 1991 without using very brutal means.

But that having been said, Tom is right to raise the question. In theory
nothing should be easier than to create a case against Saddam Hussein's
government for human rights violations. But the people who have an interest
in doing it have not been doing it very well. We get a lot of
unsubstantiated accusations. I've no reason to disbelieve them but it makes
a big contrast to the care CASI always used to take in presenting the case
against sanctions. I think in particular that the Iraqi Prospect
Organisation has been disappointing in this regard. The last time I visited
the Indict website it did seem to be amassing a detailed case, but it took
them a very long time before they really started to get down to it.

I also think Tom is right to raise the question of the killing of Uday and
Qusay Hussein. It seems to touch the wilder realms of conspiracy theory to
suggest that these were faked but I can't help wondering what happened to
the DNA tests. We were told that we were going to have the results of
independent DNA tests and then instead we got the photographs, which, as
everyone knows, don't prove anything. Though once we're in this territory
how could ever trust the people who said the DNA tests were genuine?!

Best wishes

Peter