Re: [casi] re: Cordesman: What is Next in Iraq?

Dear Marc and list

Marc Azar, replying to my view that the discussion list should be open to
proponents of torture, raises a very fundamental question that really needs
to be addressed before we start discussing whose voices should or shouldn't
be heard.

He says:

"A mailing list is not about freedo(o)m and democracy for all. It's about
uniting people around a common purpose."

Which raises the question: what is our common purpose? What are we
campaigning for? If we are a group of activists discussing strategy, what is
the end of our activism? What are we trying to achieve?

It is probably safe to say that most contributors to the list as it stands
are - as I am myself - deeply opposed to the United States' policy of world
domination. But this wasn't the original aim of CASI. CASI was established
to end the sanctions imposed on Iraq and, from the start, CASI pursued a
policy of engaging seriously with the British establishment in all its
different manifestations in order to achieve that end. CASI always attached
more importance to achieving its end - lifting sanctions - than to
preserving its own moral purity. And this meant understanding the arguments
that were put up from the other side. Taking them seriously and treating
them as if they were worthy of respect even when they were, as they
generally were, quite contemptible.

There is of course a distinction to be drawn between CASI as such and the
discussion list. I am a contributor to the discussion list. I am not a
member of CASI. As a contributor to the discussion list and as myself a
moral purist, I can point out that the pragmatic approach of engagement with
the establishment failed. Sanctions continued until something worse came
along (and the US sanctions are still continuing). I have indicated my own
strong disagreement with CASI's press statement welcoming the lifting of the
UN sanctions, which amounted to little more than handing over the Iraqi
economy and, in particular, the key of the UN escrow account to the
invaders.

Nonetheless I believed then and continue to believe that such engagement
with the establishment is necessary. I don't have the stomach for it myself
but am pleased that there are those who do. It is the pragmatic CASI, not
the discussion list, that has gained the reputation for caution and
objectivity, reliability, lack of hysterical rhetoric, which has enabled it
to touch parts of the British political scene other campaigning groups
cannot reach.

So where are we now? I have said in the introductions to my news mailings
that there is now a contradiction between the interests of the world at
large and those of the Iraqi people. The Iraqi people (if I dare speak for
them) need the fastest possible transition to peace, prosperity and
democracy. The world requires a catastrophic failure for the
neo-conservative project which will consign it and everyone associated with
it to the dustbin of history. That in turn requires that the neocons persist
in their ambitions and get bogged down in an ever greater spiral of failure
- interethnic war, collapse of the infrastructure (or rather impossibility
of re-establishing the infrastructure that has already collapsed), sabotage,
soldiers killed, atrocities committed against the civilian population, that
sort of thing. An even greater intensification of all the seemingly endless
sufferings of the Iraqi people. We can observe that and point constantly to
the moral responsibility of the British and American governments, but we
cannot advocate it, we cannot campaign for it (unless it becomes
unmistakeably obvious that the vast majority of Iraqis want it).

The rapid transition to peace, prosperity and democracy, should it happen
(which seems unlikely) will, however, be a vindication of the US war. Even
if it occurs through a handover to the UN or to a broadly representative
Iraqi administration. Even if Bechtel, Haliburton and the like are out of
the picture. If, within three years, the situation in Iraq is appreciably
better than it was prior to the invasion, and especially if it is much
better, the US and UK will be perceived to have won.

So who is going to campaign for that?

CASI probably. It is entirely in line with CASI's tradition to set itself
the aim of a rapid transition to peace, prosperity and democracy in Iraq.
And that will once again require a critical engagement with the
establishment - including the US establishment. It may be a very critical
engagement but it will be an engagement nonetheless. And it will amount to
this: advising the establshment as to what they should do in order to make a
success of their invasion.

That will probably mean a split between CASI as such and the discussion list
as presently constituted. If this occurs I myself will have great difficulty
deciding which side to choose. But I shall probably go with CASI, on the
grounds that a policy of engagement, of offering good advice which will in
all probability be rejected, is likely to be more subversive than a policy
of booing from the public gallery.