[casi] how many soldiers killed in iraq after all?

Dear all,

Today, on National Public Radio, in the segment talking about the latest US
soldier killed in Iraq (one killed, two wounded today), the reporter said
that 56 U.S. soldiers have been killed since Bush declared the end of
hostilities on May 1st.  She said ‘killed.’ She didn’t say ‘died.’  Other
reports have been saying that 36 (or thereabouts) US soldiers have been
killed since May 1st – the difference, we thought, was the difference
between Killed in Action and killed from accidents and the like.

So – which is it?

I bring this up again because I do think there is an effort by the press to
downplay the number of soldiers killed in Iraq, downplay that number to
downplay the anger from the military families.

-Rania

"I think all foreigners should stop interfering in the internal affairs of
Iraq."

- U.S. Deputy 'Defense' Secretary Wolfowitz,  Reuters, July 21
 <http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/iraq_wolfowitz_dc>
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/iraq_wolfowitz_dc

We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it comes.

- Ella Baker

Rańia Masri

Director, Southern Peace Research and Education Center

Institute for Southern Studies

http://www.southernstudies.org <http://www.southernstudies.org/>

Tel: (919) 419.8311. x27

Fax: (919) 419.8315