[casi] Sinbad film ignores Iraqi roots

Dear friends,

I was shocked to see that the new cartoon version of Sindiband, "Sinbad
and the Legend of the Seven Seas" completely strips this Iraqi hero of
his identity and makes him an Graeco-Roman clone of Odyseus based in
Sicily not Baghdad.
See National Geographic
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news/2003/07/0702_030702_sinbad.html

Hollywood has missed an huge opportunity to showcase some of the culture
of Iraq and humanise Iraqis to the American population. More seriously,
this is really cultural theft, turning an famous arab character into
Brad Pitt.

Would anyone like to organise some pickets of the film. We may have
missed it's UK premier (not sure), but perhaps there are some industry
events, or screenings in Leicester Square where we could protest?

More positively, perhaps a real Iraqi version of Sindiband could be
produced. Does anyone know if there was any Iraqi film industry under
Saddam, or does anyone know any Iraqi exiles involved in movies?

Regards,

Justin Alexander

"I know that changing the world is not easy
but it remains necessary nonetheless." -
<http://www.poetryinternational.org/cwolk/view/16265> Fadhil al-Azzawi
www.JustinAlexander.net | tel +44 7813 137171
 <http://www.justinalexander.net/> Weblog |
<http://www.jubileeiraq.org/> Jubilee Iraq |