Re: [casi] Any post-invasion estimates of impact on the Iraqis?

Yes, there doesn't seem to be a great deal about - I don't know how much
that is a result of disinterest (!), and how much of the time needed to
produce a decent account. One other organisation worth mentioning is
CIVIC, the campaign for the innocent victims of conflict. They have a
website at www.iraqvictimsfund.org, but almost no information on it as
yet. According to 'Salam Pax' (dearraed.blogspot.com), they have around
150 volunteers collating casualty reports, and have counted at least 5000
injuries and deaths in Baghdad, 1000 killed and 3000 injured in Nasariyah,
and more elsewhere.  Probably worth giving them a call and seeing how much
further they've got.

Of course, all those are direct casualties. Indirect casualties, as I'm
sure you all know, are far more numerous and harder to count.

Dan O'Huiginn

On Wed, 25 Jun 2003, nagy wrote:

> Dear Colleagues,
>
>    I am mystified. Is it true that there have been NO studies on the impact of
> the US invasion  of Iraq to match the splendid estimates of the impact, if the
> US did reinvade Iraq?
>
>     The closest to a good study I have seen (and it's excellent) is
> iraqbodycount.org.
>
>    1) Is my hunch true?
>    2) How can this be?
>
> tom
>
> p.s. hope I'm wrong and that people will post the urls that show I'm wrong.
>
> Tom
> Thomas J. Nagy, Ph.D.
> Assoc. Prof. of Expert Systems
> George Washington Univeristy Sch. of Business & Public Mgt.
> Washington, D.C. 20052
> home.gwu.edu/~nagy

Daniel O'Huiginn
do227@cam.ac.uk
07789 260207 01223 564613
O9, Queens College

"what you are giving the Iraqi interim authority in 2003 is far less than
you gave the Iraqi government when you occupied Iraq in 1920"
                Ahmed Chalabi