[casi] Re: Iraqis to get their act together?

On Tue, 3 Jun 2003 14:49:53 +0200 Boros Attila
<boros.attila@drotposta.hu> writes:
>Dear Bob,
>
>You hit the nail on the head with the "protection racket" >point, but I
cannot think how Iraqis, vandalized, raped, >terrorized, and divided as
they are, could "get their act >together now and mount a unified effort
to form a
>government of their own". I wish they could, but I am >afraid you are
much too optimistic in saying that. In >fact, it seems they are looking
to the occupiers
>to sort things out, just as the disrespectful bunch of >the
'international community' do.

>Best,
>Attila
>Hungary

They obviously will need help, most immediately with the "housekeeping"
functions: health, water, electricity, security, etc. At the same time I
hear about how competent the Iraqis are, and that is believable -- but if
the US/UK interferes with them by opposing the leaders who emerge but are
not strong allies of the US/UK then it's that much harder. Hardly anyone
wants extreme Muslim fundamentalists to take over, but many of the Muslim
leaders are not so much extremists but simply refuse to kowtow to Bush.

This is another opportunity (likely to be missed for lack of cohesiveness
and political will?) for the surrounding Nations and the Arab league to
step in to help -- it would be better for the region if a viable Iraq
emerged.

Two problems would seem to be that the US would oppose it, thinking that
a pan-Arab effort would threaten it's control (and probably be linked by
the US administration to extreme Bathism), and that at least some of the
Arab nations would also be fearful of a strongly democratic Iraq as
threatening their own highly controlled centralized governments -- or in
the case of Turkey inflaming Kurdish desires for independence.

Nonetheless, the entire region needs to re-examine the assumptions
regarding democracy. Over the long term it is better than a strong
monarchy or oligarchy for everyone. A wave of democratic reform would be
good for the region, and I would say to those currently in power "try it,
you'll like it". Grasping power gives some advantages to those in power,
but also has it's costs, one of which is a continuing threat of
instability, which leads, as one evil side effect, to the tndency to
gravitate towards the US for support and military assistance. Dictatorial
government is a precarious perch, which is inherently dangerous, and
generally doomed to ultimate failure (one reason why I oppose current US
policy). The end point of dictatorial policy can be seen in the downfall
of Saddam the Shah of Iran, Pinochet, Marcos, among many others.

I should think that the strategies for a free Iraq would include working
on communications, such as newpapers, internet, and broadcast media
(perhaps transmitted from outside of Iraq). Islam itself (properly
interpreted and practiced) has powerful elements of good government
practice embedded in it, which can be utilized. If some form of popular
government can be formed, even if all Iraqis don't support it fully, then
there would be a way to make contracts and use the oil wealth of the
country as a bargaining chip to get the help of other countries, perhaps
Russia, China, European nations. One some stability is reached then
adjustments of government can be made through open debate, elections, and
normal politics -- impossible if the US controls the process.

One of the most difficult situations for a policeman is domestic
disturbances: the cop arrives at the scene to find a fight going on, but
then the whole family often resists him *the enemy from without), being
so loyal to each other and the family unit that they resent any outside
interference. If he leaves they return to process of squabbling, trying
to settle the disagreements amongst themselves. That sort of attitude
should be encouraged both in Iraq and in the whole Arab region. If the
leaders of the individual Arab nations allow themselves to be torn apart
by supporting the US, hoping to gain individual advantage, they will be
picked off one by one -- divided and conquered. A strong, politically
competent people, and a working inter-relationship of the Arabian nations
is the best security. The Arab League needs to understand this, and gain
solidarity -- including aiding Iraq to establish itself as an independent
nation.

Of course it's difficult and complex, but any more so than knuckling
under to the US? Shall we say that the Arabs (who invented law) are not
up to the task? That Mohammed's lessons about coming together in unity,
tolerance for diversity, and defense of human rights were in vain? I
would hope not! What's the alternative?