Re: [casi] Petitions

bob.steel1@juno.com wrote:

> I've gotten petitions with 300 signatures, saying I
should sing and send
> it everyone I know, unless I'm the 500th signer and then
send it some
> address. These are copied to me and 30 other people. My
copy generally
> dies because I know the emails of few people, and they
are usually
> already on the list.

These sort of petitions are usefull as e-mail bombardments.
I also participated in such a petition sent to me by a
Russian friend just before the Iraq war. If every recipient
forwards the mail to ten others, then you will have 10^n
lists containing n names. Because there are only a finite
number of people on Earth, you will probably receive the
same petition many times. Millions of copies of the
petition will arive at the intended destination, taking out
the e-mail server by overloading it. The e-mails arive from
different senders, so the recipient can't protect
him/herself from the bombardment.