[casi] Petitions

The on-line petition thing is out of hand: such things can not be handled
like traditional petitions, where generally one signs once and only once,
and that signature is always sent to destination.

I've gotten petitions with 300 signatures, saying I should sing and send
it everyone I know, unless I'm the 500th signer and then send it some
address. These are copied to me and 30 other people. My copy generally
dies because I know the emails of few people, and they are usually
already on the list.

Who is sorting these out to make sure people don't show up on multiple
petitions as the propagate like bunnies with each forward branch? What of
the politician who gets 50 copies of a petition with a large percentage
of duplication?

To make sense the on-line community should adopt two modes: either sign
on to a statement and immediately send it on to the final recipient, or
have only one central site from collecting names. There must be only one
"official" petition, so that 5,000 names means 5,000 different people. An
organization -- like CASI -- could have a special email address to send a
message of intent to sign a particular petition (with instrucions
included), and those people can then be added to the master data-base
list.

This would not only solve the organization/duplication/dead branch
problems but also allow for anonymity to everyone but the administrators
of the data base and the final recipient. Lists of signatures  could be
forwarded on to the recipient at intervals (say every 1,000 names). It
would even be possible for confirmation messages to be sent, as when
subscribing to a list. Since I now have only e-mail, not full WEB access,
someone like me could also sign petitions without going to the library to
log on the WEB. I expect standard list-managment software could be easily
adapted.

Problem solved? Would CASI be willing to sponsor some petitions of that
sort?