RE: [casi] Hungary will say no - hopefully

Thank you Attila for the update.  I think that these decisions may be
difficult to make, as they require balancing two factors that may be in
opposition to each other:

1. a desire not to co-operate with an illegal and globally unpopular war.

2. a desire not to abandon Iraq, now that that war has taken place.

On this latter point, I found Alan Kuperman's 16 April article in USA Today
worrying.  He notes that:

"during instability in places such as Northern Ireland, Malaysia, Bosnia and
Kosovo, intervention forces have required approximately 20 troops per
thousand residents to maintain order. Postwar Iraq will likely fall in the
latter category. ... Given Iraq's population of about 24 million, that could
mean 480,000 peacekeepers..."

While I certainly do not want to see a US occupation of Iraq, I also do not
want to see Iraq rend itself as Yugoslavia did.

Best,

Colin Rowat

work | Room 406, Department of Economics | The University of Birmingham |
Birmingham, B15 2TT, UK | web.bham.ac.uk/c.rowat | (+44/0) 121 414 3754 |
(+44/0) 121 414 7377 (fax) | c.rowat@bham.ac.uk

personal | (+44/0) 7768 056 984 (mobile) | (+44/0) 7092 378 517 (fax) |
(707) 221 3672 (US fax) | c.rowat@espero.org.uk