[casi] Jubilee Iraq - Petition to free Iraq from Saddam's debts

Should the Iraqi people have to repay the $400bn that Saddam owes? Money
borrowed to fight his wars, build his palaces and fund his secret
police?

The average annual income of an Iraqi today is just $150. So if the
Iraqi people are made to repay Saddam's debt then they will each owe
$15,000. One hundred times their annual income. Iraq does have great oil
reserves, but it is only able to pump about $10bn of oil a year, even if
every penny went to service debt and none to rebuild Iraq, it would only
total about 2% of the money that Saddam owes.

Before the war is over, and the world forgets about Iraq, we need to
ensure that the Iraqi people have the chance to rebuild their lives
without the chain of Saddam's debt around their necks.

Please sign the Jubilee Iraq Petition on http://www.JubileeIraq.org
<http://www.jubileeiraq.org/>

"We the people of the world unite to declare that the people of Iraq are
not liable for any of the debts and charges incurred by Saddam Hussein
and his regime. We have different - indeed opposing - views about the
current war, but we are united in our support of the Iraqi people.

We call on all countries, organisations and citizens to support this
declaration. We call on all creditors and all those claiming reparations
to write-off their claims and not demand them from the Iraqi people. We
call on the invading coalition, the Arab League and the UN General
Assembly to support the Iraqi people in repudiating their debts. The
Iraqi people must be allowed to enter the next stage of their history
with a clean slate. In the future the resources of Iraq, must be used
for the benefit of the Iraqi people as they rebuild their lives.

We assert that the Iraqi people do not owe one cent or one dinar. We
will ensure that they are not required to pay these debts. We declare
that they should begin the next stage of their history with a clean
financial slate. We declare liberation. We declare a Jubilee."

Learn about the issues and get involved in the campaign on
http://www.JubileeIraq.org <http://www.jubileeiraq.org/>

Invite your friends to sign the petition.