[casi] Only oil-for-food aid permitted?

The Jordan Times, April 5

http://www.jordantimes.com/Fri/homenews/homenews3.htm

TREIBIL/AMMAN — The Iraqi Red Crescent has rejected a shipment of
humanitarian assistance donated by their Jordanian counterpart and ordered
the trucks loaded with medicine to return to Amman, sources said Thursday.

The sources, who spoke with The Jordan Times at the Iraqi border crossing,
said they were instructed by the Iraqi Red Crescent Society to return the
six trucks loaded with humanitarian aid that have remained at the crossing
point since their arrival.

In transit from Ruweished to Amman, President of Jordan Red Crescent Society
Mohammad Hadid told The Jordan Times Thursday night that he had received a
letter from his Iraqi counterpart earlier in the day.
“[The letter] informed us that they would not accept any humanitarian
assistance or medical relief. They said that they only wanted us to condemn
the aggression against Iraq, the killing of civilians and the violation of
International Humanitarian Law, particularly the bombardment of the Red
Crescent Hospital several days ago, which caused damage to the hospital and
left several injured.”

Hadid added that he did not know what would become of the trucks, explaining
that he had contacted the International Committee of the Red Cross in
Baghdad to find out additional information about the shipment, but could not
provide anything further in that regard.

When asked if shipments were being refused from other countries as well,
Hadid said he believed aid from all Red Crescent Societies was being refused
and that Jordan was not being targeted specifically.

The letter, a copy of which was obtained by The Jordan Times, was signed by
the chairman of the Iraqi Red Crescent Society, Hisham Salman Saadon and
read: “We apologise but we cannot accept any humanitarian assistance. We
urge you to work to denounce the inhuman practices and to end the aggression
against our country ... We urge you to demand an immediate stoppage to the
aggression.”

The drivers of the six trucks, which have been waiting at the border for the
last two days, said that only trucks loaded with goods purchased by Iraq in
line with the oil-for-food programme were being allowed to cross. All
humanitarian assistance was being refused and returned to the Kingdom, they
added.

pg